Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Brake/Hydraulic Connector 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

iongno

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2012
US
I have an aluminum AN832-3D (bulkhead union, two male 3/8-24 UNF w/ 37° flares). I need to connect it to a brass male 1/8 NPT fitting and can't seem to find a female/female fitting-coupling that will do the trick.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I checked aircraft spruce they don't appear to have what i need. The existing connections are both male so I need to find a double female fitting.

iongno--you should be aware that coupling brass to aluminum is never a good plan because of the potential for galvanic corrosion.

You might try googling "Autoclave Engineering".

I agree with the caveat about galvanic corrosion. Are there aluminum connections on the other side of the bulkhead union? Any chance of changing the bulkhead fitting to a more compatible metal?

Berkshire - Earl's Ano Tuff may do the trick. Ideally I would like to have just one part to make the connection. This part would be great, if only it was an AN-3 and at $37 is more than I would like to spend.

swall - I agree corrosion is a concern. However the BH fitting attaches to an aluminum channel. The BH fitting is a lot cheaper and easier to replace than the Al channel. The treads will have ARP thread sealer added that should help with corrosion.

The brass fitting is existing hardware for 1/8” copper tube brake lines. Replacing the lines is out of the question. The system I’m designing is a kit. I would like to keep the fittings so the end user does not need special tools to change it and can go back to original equipment.

Mint

I have added your link to my favorites . That is a very useful site.
And I have given you a star for it.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back