Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brake Line Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStiller

Aerospace
Sep 20, 2007
US
I'm getting set up to run brake lines for the prototype vehicle my company is building, but I have a few questions. We're taking a fairly standard approach and using hard line from the master cylinders out towards the wheels, and then using flex line from the body to the wheels. The issue I'm having is with the hard line. We have a hard line kit which came with some hard line and fittings and such, but we need to buy a flaring tool, and the question is, what angle flare do we need for an inverted flare fitting? Is it a 37-degree, 45-degree, or 45-degree double flare, or is it something else entirely?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Flaring tools are available for AN 37 , 45 and, the British so called bubble flare. All work just fine as long as you don't mix n match.

I have pretty much converted to AN 37 degree flares for anything I build, brake lines, fuel lines, oil lines, etc. Using AN fittings makes a much nicer installation. I still need the British 'bubble flare and U.S. double flare for a few fittings that are not cost effective to change, however.

Rod

The SAE spec calls for a double-flare, and the tool to do that with is available at most auto-parts stores.

If this prototype vehicle is a body-on-frame construction, don't forget to use at least one 360-degree loop of steel tubing at the master cylinder outlet for strain relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back