Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Branch pipe to weldolet 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

anolan23

Mechanical
Apr 29, 2015
US
I can't seem to find the location in the ASME B31.3 codebook that states the weld requirements for the weld between a branch pipe and a reinforced branch fitting (weldolet). Anyone have experience with this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't believe there is anything in B31.3 on that. When you say the weld between branch pipe and the weldolet, you are talking about the pipe welded to the outlet of the weldolet, correct? The weld needs to be sized for full pen based on the pipe schedule.

Little Inch,

I believe the OP is asking about the weld on the outlet side of the olet, not the run pipe weld as depicted in Fig. 328.5.4F

Okay, I read that wrong, but couldn't see why this should be any different to any other weld.

It's still section 328 though - you need to produce a WPS - that will or should specify full penetration weld and you need to then comply with your own WPS.

Your branch fitting should be supplied with a bevel to match the OD and wt of you connecting pipe.

What's the problem / issue here?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

What would you do if you were welding a flange onto a pipe? Same goes for a weldolet to branch pipe. I think you should google weldolet, so you know what you are using.

I know what I'm using. I have a weldolet that has a bevel on the outlet side. I also have a branch pipe that will be beveled, aligned, and welded to the weldolet.

The problem is that the customer is asking about the strength of this weld in particular. Does full penetration weld make the joint stronger than the branch pipe itself?

anolan,

I don't believe there is a code reference to that requirement.

It does make sense to have a full pen weld there because it doesn't make sense to have any other type of weld such as a partial pen weld.

The strength of that weld will be similar to any other circ weld or pipe to pipe butt weld, assuming material of the olet equals or exceeds the pipe material, and use of a welding filler metal that also equals or exceeds the pipe material.

I don't understand why your customer would be concerned with that weld, the run pipe weld is much more critical when using an integrally reinforced branch fitting like a weldolet.

Thanks DVWE,

The last sentence you said about the run pipe weld being more critical...

are you talking about the weld that attaches the weldolet to the run pipe?

Weld-o-let, thread-o-let, etc. are trade names. The code isn't going to list the requirements by brand or trade names, they use generic terms like integrally reinforced branch fittings.

IRBF are designed and tested by the manufacturer. The specific requirements may vary somewhat from one manufacturer to another, but the code requirements for branch fitting must still be met.

Best regards - Al

Table 341.3.2 gives acceptance criteria for welds.....girth and miter groove welds for Category D service allows 1.5" of incomplete pen. in 6" of weld or 25% of total weld length, whichever is less.

loilfan's post is great and useful. For forged O-lets, there is a need for "weld reinforcement" in addition to a full pen weld. Refer to B31.1 par 127.4.8, or to the vendor's instructions. The weld reinforcement is to apply weld up to the weld line forged into the fitting, and this is much more weld filler than a full pen weld.

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

I think. And pan is talking about a but weld where he wants to just throw a fillet on top of the pipe to fitting. No, complete fill or full and better fuse the root penetration is needed with a flash or small re for cement on top cover pass. Regardless of pipe schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back