Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

brass hardware in indoor pool environment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rysep

Mechanical
Jul 17, 2002
US
This is lots of information available about steel and stainless fasteners for indoor pools. Does anybody know how brass fasteners may hold up in such in environment when used to suspend objects overhead? ie ceilings, lighting fixtures hvac equipment.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry a few typos. Should read There is lots of information not This is lots of infomation. Sorry end of the day I'm tired.

I would not recommend brass fasteners for this application as it is susceptible to stress corrosion cracking. What is wrong with using 316 stainless fasteners.

I agree with Metaljon, brasses are susceptoble to SCC and dezincification in chloride containing environments. Silicon bronze fasteners are commonly used for these conditions, if you need a copper-based metal.

There are other alloys, Al bronze, NiAl bronze that would stand up, but they are going to be hard to find.
I would not hesitate to use NAB

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Another problem with brass is that it will form a green patina. Calcium carbonates will leach out from the plaster surfacing of the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back