Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Brass/Stainless/Mild Steel Galvanic corrosion in piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelluvaEngineer

Mechanical
Jan 25, 2012
US
This is not exactly an HVAC question, but one that I'm sure most experience HVAC engineers have run across.

This is a large CHP installation of an recip-piston engine. There are many temperature sensors throughout the 3 hot water circuits (intercooler, jacket water, building heating loop). The sensors are German and have 1/2" G-threads. (same as 1/2" BSP or BSPP). I have found mass produced adapters (BSPP to NPT) made of brass, or I can have custom stainless ones made.

The process fluid is 35% PG 65% water. Should I be concerned about galvanic corrosion with stainless sensors, brass adapters and mild steel piping?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No matter what, there will be galvanic corrosion between the two dissimilar metals. There are some dielectric connections that can be made and then would work.

Right, but has practical experience shown it to be enough to matter? I doubt this would be the first HVAC-esque piping system to have a combination of mild steel, stainless steel and bronze.

I'm not too familiar with issue among "mild" steel, stainless, and bronze, but galvanic corrosion presents itself moreso between Cu+3 and Fe-2 (metals of opposite properties) in electrolytic solutions.

With good water chemistry control, you will probably not see any issues for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back