Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Braze alloy for Carpenter Custom 465 SS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueOvalBruin

Mechanical
Oct 16, 2008
US
Does anyone have any recommendations for a biocompatible brazing alloy that works well with Carpenter Custom 465 SS and 316L SS? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately Cartech doesn't have a west coast office and they close at 5PM EST (2PM local). I was hoping to find an alloy and not wait till tomorrow, esp since there's no guarantee cartech will have a suggestion. My brazing guy is having bad luck with the BAu-4 and needs to try something else. Any ideas?

I would have suggested a Ni/Au alloy, looks like you are going that way. Is the brazing guy using a reducing atmosphere? If not, what flux is he using?

The real trick is finding a braze alloy so that the braze temp matches the required heat treat temp.
Find the heat treat temp and then search the braze alloys. You will sacrifice quality and strength in order to just get a joint that doesn't ruin the 465.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back