Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Breaker Monitoring using protection relays on transmission breakers- who is using this feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thermionic1

Electrical
Nov 30, 2018
US
This feature has been introduced in our region and I'm curious if others are utilizing. For many years, digital relays, in our case mostly SEL have been used from trip circuit monitoring, where an input of the relay is wired in parallel with the trip bus. A little logic also containing 52a and we have trip circuit monitoring. Station DC voltage monitoring is also utilized on various relays that support it, mainly for SCADA indication and alarms @ EMS.

What I'm seeing more of is utilizing the built in monitoring from SEL400 series relays to monitor slow mechanical trip, slow electrical trip and similar for close functions. As well, interrupted current is utilized.

It seems like some of these functions have been around for quite a while and are just now being utilized. I wonder if it's just economics or is there a NERC requirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back