Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Breaker price question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsmoked

Electrical
Feb 18, 2005
US
I was perusing the SquareD catalog and ran across their 600V 3Ph, 2,500A breaker. (RLF36250CU74AE1) it weighs 52 pounds and is about 16" x 16" x 6".

It lists at fifty thousand two hundred and twenty nine dollars!

Why? Just blatant gouging or is there a large amount of gold or platinum in one?

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have to have the discount schedule to go with the catalog, Keith. When the catalogs are printed, the prices listed are several times the real price. By using a discount schedule the same catalog can be used for years despite price increases. Also, contractors, OEMs, and maintenance departments usually get different discounts off the same prices.
However, after you get the discount schedule, you may well be repeating your original question.
Respectfully

You will also find that buying a single piece of anything, even after discounts, is a lot more expensive than buying that same thing as a part of an assembly or package of equipment.

Discounts aside, I agree that these large 480V breakers can be amazingly expensive. As waross says, I suspect it will seem expensive even after the discount.

Of course, if one of these blows up in someone's face, their potential liability is amazingly high as well.

eehusher is right. Around here it's cheaper to buy a 200 amp panel "fully populated" than one with a few breakers. I suspect it's because the manufacturer saves labor.

BJC,
Another factor is, when you buy a panel, they are competing with other manufacturers. When you buy a breaker, you usually don't have a choice. I have seen 4 to one ratios on the same MCC section. An addition to an existing MCC was quoted around $20,000. A few days later we indicated that we weren't locked in to one manufacturer and wanted a competitive quote. The price dropped to $5000.
Just for fun Keith, phone up and ask for a competitive quote.
respectfully

I agree with all of the above. A realistic price might be in the $12,000 range. Maybe less if you buy several or as part of a package.

Hellow from the nuclear industry.

Keith, the price you saw sounds like what the nuclear industry pays for a Safety Related (Class 1E) Single Phase 20 Amp Breaker. A little humor from the nuclear industry.

12fish
As Iron sharpens Iron so does a man sharpen the countenance of his friends.

I thought you could buy the 20A for $5,000 but spent the other $45,000 documenting the history of the petroleum from which it's plastic was manufactured. :)

alehman,
You've been around, documentation is everything. Clean Power costs but its worth it.

12fish
As Iron sharpens Iron so does a man sharpen the countenance of his friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back