Brick Storm Sewer Culvert Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDean42

Civil/Environmental
Sep 4, 2024
US
Hey folks,

Hoping someone with a little more knowledge/field experience could give me a hand or direct me to a good resource.

Firm I work for got roped into doing a small (250' + 3 storm drains) section of storm sewer along with other work, when we typically only do design for water, sewer and gas.

We've got everything together, but I've been tasked with looking at how the connection can be made, as the existing line is a brick culvert. We do have a new box that is to be installed on the existing culvert, but I cannot find any information on how the contractor will go about connecting the brick to the new box upon completion of the work.

I've looked for videos and guides, but I'm coming up a bit short handed.

Would anyone have any resources or experience on how this type of connection might typically be made by the contract?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The storm sewer department does not do much in the way of specifications or standard details unfortunately. While researching for our specs, I actually ended up talking to their folks and sent them the American Concrete Specs for installation.

And as far as the example you provided, it is a rectangular brick culvert (as opposed to a round/oval shaped pipe) that we are attaching to, not a manhole. The line was installed years ago (we actually had some issues on how to install some of the other utilities as the builds we are working near have rock foundations if that gives you a rough idea on age of infrastructure in the area). Probably should have stated that better on my end.

We have not been able to see the box due to inaccessibility to the line, though a rough size for the rectangular line was given based on. We are going to be setting a new box on the existing line to bring in a new proposed line to bring storm water away from the builds.

I appreciate your help though!

Build a doghouse manhole around the existing sewer, and you might be able to do the job without interrupting flow. Bypass pumping for a storm sewer would likely be thousands of dollars. Brick sewers have a tendency to look wonderful. Until someone touches it. then it unravels like a zipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back