Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brick Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewVisitior

Aerospace
Oct 15, 2002
US
I am a new visitor. I just completed my school and joined in my first work. For our Counter Measure Computers (V(3))we have a new power supply whose reliability is less than the old one and the manufacturer of this power supply is saying the reason for the decrease of the reliablity is the use of the Brick Technology in making that power supply. The only reason I can think of regarding the degrade the reliability of the new power supply is that the Modules (bricks) selected for the new design are of Industrial/Commercial grade and not full military quality components, and the component of the old one are full military quality components. Is there any other reason why the use of Brick Technology would degrade the reliability of the new power supply?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

New Visitor.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First of all, what is the basis of comparison, prediction or actual data? Reliability predictions tend to be somewhat like Liar's Poker, particularly in downsized military programs, since the customer cannot afford to prove or disprove reliability numbers.

Also, are the predictions done exactly the same way? Every supplier does the calculations somehwat differently, and that can greatly affect the outcome.

What is the comparison in volume? "Brick" technology implies smaller form factors, hence higher temperature density (possibly), which would cause a lower reliability.

What is the overall design efficiency and design margin. Your supplier is making a blatant accusation, but is the new power supply designed to the same margins as the old one, i.e., is the new one working harder than the old one?

Last, but not least, are the components comparable? Industrial grade components have lower margins, but the jury is still out on whether that really means anything, since the only thing that was different in MIL-STD-883 qualified components was the number of visual inspections and the testing to larger temperature limits.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back