Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brick veneer deflection limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvshep

Structural
Sep 6, 2007
US
I have a steel frame building with brick veneer cladding. My building lateral force resisting system is moment frame. How much should I limit the drift in my moment frame to avoid damage to the veneer? I've heard H/300 & H/500. What is the most commonly used limit and where can I find the reference?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use H/300 drift for brick clad buildings. This equates to L/600 brick deflection when the height is multiplied by two to equate a cantilever deflection to a simple span deflection.

California has amended the 2006 IBC Table 1604.3 by introducing the deflection limits of "veneered walls, anchored veneers and adhered veneers over 1" thick, including the mortar backing" as L/480.

This is for the out-of-plane drift (not in-plane). To accommodate in-plane drifts, in California, we often "isolate" the veneered cladding by using slip joints/slotted holes, etc. Look into for some ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back