Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Brick work crack 1

desertfox

Mechanical
Dec 29, 2002
GB
Afternoon All

I don’t very often ask for help however I would welcome any advice on the brickwork on my home.

I have never noticed this small crack in the brickwork until today. The house is around 40years old and I have had no problems over the past years.
The crack (see photo) appears to be one single hair line crack from top to bottom of the single brick and no where else, the brick is also below the damp course.
I have checked around the perimeter and can find no other cracks, I am considering just filling it but I thought I would ask for advice before I do.

Thanks in advance

desertfox

IMG_0813_hxejse.jpg

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Non issue for me. I wouldn't even bother trying to fill it as it appears too small for that to be effective. One of the nice things about masonry is that it mostly doesn't rely on tensile capacity.

Hi KootK

Thank you for your response it’s appreciated 😀👍

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Concur... it's odd that the crack is only in the one masonry unit and doesn't continue above or below. I would just leave it. Any repair will likely make it a lot worse.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Agree that this is a non issue. Depending on how the foundation of your home was built the brick may just be a veneer/facade and not be supporting any of the structure. Can't determine this without more information, but no need for further investigation imho.

Cause could be any number of things but my best guess would be:

1) Brick swells do to temporary increase in ambient humidity / wetting.

2) Brick somehow restrained from shrinking back to normal moisture size and develops crack.

In other news - you need to keep an eye on your mortar joints. They're looking a little weathered. You'll probably need to have them scraped out and repointed in the not-too-distant future.

Hi all

I found it odd that the mortar around the brick appears in tact and I also wondered whether it’s been there all the time and I only just noticed. Certainly could be due humidity changes.

Hi PhamENG

Yes I will make sure I have my eye on the mortar 👍

Most types of bricks are brittle. My money is on someone hit it at some point (maybe early on during mortar curing period) and the crack resulted. The chip in the brick below is primarily what I'm basing my speculations off of. Though could be from swell as KootK mentioned. In any case, almost certainly a nothing-burger. Rest easy!

Also, from an aesthetic perspective, anything you do will draw more attention to it. I would just leave it alone.

Capture_r7ywmk.png

Hi Everyone
Thanks for all your help, I will rest easy😀👍.

Tomfh, I have no idea when it appeared, I only noticed it today when I was leaving the house, it looked at first like someone had drawn a black line with a biro pen.

Back