Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bricscad - the good, the bad and the ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

dacotua09

Civil/Environmental
Feb 19, 2009
I am a small operator and looking to cut some costs, especially with the tough economy weighing heavily on my operation. I am considering a move to Bricscad from AutoCAD but would appreciate some honest feedback from those who have made the switch partially/or fully. I am especially interested in the bad and the ugly to help me better gauge the risks.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry I cant be very specific because its been a while since I tried Briscad and Turbocad also. The hard fact was it just doesn't perform like Autocad.

I made it policy for my organisation to stick with Autocad because it is simply the best in the market. The long history of Autocad has a lot to do with it too.

Although the capital cost is higher in the lond term you have a superior product.

chicopee,

I am in the civil site development business. I would also be interested if everyone knows of any civil applications have be ported to Bricscad. I am particularly interested in experience with the latest version of Brics as I understand there were issues in the past.

I'm biased because I run IMSI/Design, we've been making CAD software for a few decades now... most recently, we've released DoubleCAD XT (free) and DoubleCAD XT PRO.

I won't make specific product comparison comments. I will say that AutoCAD certainly is a good product... and no doubt is the standard in the industry. AutoCAD LT certainly benefits from being under the AutoCAD umbrella.

But -- especially in tough times like now -- there really are solid, reliable, .DWG alternatives.

People used to say, "Only buy a Cadillac"... then GM somehow got off track... and a few imported brands took the torch and ran with it. We hope you'll give we .DWG alternatives a try... lots of really great reasons -- and features difference that make your job easier/more productive -- to do so.

There's nothing wrong with ACAD LT, but since Autodesk has hiked it's price more in percentage terms than full ACAD, if you only need the basic LT functions why pay more than you have to?

I love TurboCad and it can export its files to MANY different types. And it is CHEAP!! They are on version 15.something - but you can find older versions for almost nothing on E-bay. Stay with the odd numbered versions - seem to work better - not sure why. I still use 11.1 on a day to day basis - all I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back