Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bridge bend to non parallel bodies (NX10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davavanstone

Automotive
Jun 1, 2015
GB
Hi,
What would be the easiest way to to do a bridge flange between two bodies which aren't parallel?

Two bodies flat to the XY planes and separated by the distance along the Z join with bridge, although if the upper is kept in the same place, but tilted about the X axis, I get the error "This orientation of bodies is not supported currently", understanding that for the bodies to meet, they both have to be extended at an angle.

eng_mvsvya.png

eng2_yo0ij1.png

eng3_zmhdcm.png

What would be the simplest procedure of other tools to overcome this?

regards

Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Must this be done in the sheet metal application so that you can "flatten" the result?

If the answer is "no", switch to modeling and have a look at the "bridge", "through curve", and/or "through curve mesh" commands. Any of these commands (and probably a few more) would be able to create such a transition (but the result may not be developable).

www.nxjournaling.com

extract the "top" or "bottom" face of each, create a ruled surface between them. blend and thicken.
if you need it in sheet metal, maybe you can convert it back to flatten?
I don't have a sheet metal license.

Can't be done in one step, at least in NX9. I had a similar part, and I had to do multiple flanges to get it. I even submitted an IR, asking for a better method, because I had to be able to flatten the part, and they only thing they came up with was multiple flanges, because the end segments weren't parallel.

-Dave

NX 9, Teamcenter 10

@Toost - embrace the new sheet metal application, it can mostly do what is required, however sometimes by different methods. I think Siemens have provided the functionality required with Sheet Metal from Solid - works for me.

I agree, if some functionality is missing that was present from the old modeling methods, the only way Siemens will introduce it is through an enhancement request.

@Davavanstone It is important to describe the workflow that cannot be performed rather than proposing a solution.

I have nothing against the new Sheet metal package, ( new and new, -it was introduced in NX3 ...) I think it's is brilliant in what it does.
But, IF NX in one version can do something, and in a later version not, that is a regression. ( Siemens terminology)

If you look at the example I provided, the bridge is twisted, NX 10-11 will not create that as sheet metal but it will let you unfold.
You can try your method on my geometry and see if you succeed.

Regards,
Tomas

@Toost
Indeed you are correct, the geometry is twisted - not what the OP was after.
Do Siemens have an ER for this? If they do, it will surely get considered.
Functionality can get removed if it is not used or required - which is not necessarily a regression however I take your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back