Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bridge Demolition Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

minorchord2000

Structural
Sep 26, 2005
US
Hello:

We have a bridge here in Tucson that might be scheduled for demolition due to its age and inadequate inventory and operating ratings. The bridge is a 6 span, non composite structure: total length = 363 feet: out to out width = 64 feet. Superstructure is composed of 4 feet wide inverted "U" beams side by side with a 6 inch thick asphalt overlay. The bridge includes concrete stub like abutments and concrete pier caps. The pier caps and abutment caps are supported by driven steel piles. The bridge spans a typical Tucson dry river bed, but flows during the monsoon season. A new precast I-girder bridge is scheduled to takes its place and will be supported by concrete drilled shafts.

Does anyone have a feel for the cost/sq ft to demolish this bridge? It will have to be removed in sections to allow traffic during the demo and reconstruction.

Thanks for your assistance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No idea myself, but I know RSMeans has a specialized Heavy Civil Construction Cost book and I believe it covers bridges (they usually have a section for demolition). Have you checked that out? May be a good starting point.

A quick check of our historical bid costs puts most of ours in the range of $10-$15/square foot, with the larger ones closer to the $10 side. Yours is considerably larger than any we've removed recently (last 15 years). Given the economy of scale, and the anticipated ease of demolition and cleanup, I would've said removing your bridge would be somewhat lower. However, the cost of labor differences from Wyoming to Arizona, and the partial removal will change it some.

If you can find the Davis-Bacon wage scales that the feds require us to use and compare that with your local wage scale (or the Davis-Bacon wage scale for Tucson if it's a federally funded project), that may help adjust the numbers.

For removing it half at a time, I can tell you our cost for similar concrete removal runs about $1000/CY, so if you know how much you'll need to remove to separate the sections, you should be able to estimate the extra cost for that.

This is based on the assumption that the substructures are not overly massive or tall, and can easily be partially removed, or don't need to be partially removed, for the staged construction.

Edit: I guess the Davis Bacon prevailing wage wasn't as hard to find as I thought it might be. It's here.

Rod Smith, P.E., The artist formerly known as HotRod10

Ok, finding the Davis Bacon wage scales wasn't that easy. I found what I think is the full list for Wyoming.

Arizona's is here.

Just looking at a few seemingly equivalent positions, it appears Arizona's wage scale is 20-25% higher than Wyoming's.

SRE said:
If the piling have to be extracted, I would consider labor & equipment cost of extraction...

Good point. I didn't think about that; we don't really ever do it. We line up the new substructures so as to miss the existing, and just cut the piles off a foot below the ground.

Bridge demo costs are all about access.

Can a contractor put equipment in the river bed? (Or prohibited by environmental/schedule concerns?)

Can you hammer the girders off the bearings and process the rubble on the ground? Or is more containment required?

How high is this bridge above grade? Will a standard excavator be able to reach, or do you need a high-reach boom? Production rates go way down then.

----
just call me Lo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back