Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bridge design in TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGill10

Structural
Apr 29, 2009
US

Bridge design using prestressed girder with concrete deck slab and pile foundation.

1)I don't find details for diaphragm.I assume they need diaphragm at the supports at least as the bridge manual says no intermediate diaphragm required. I will appreciate if any person with experience on Txdot bridge design can help me on this.
2) About abutment design on piles, it says use pairs of batter piles. I assume they want to make it fix from lateral movement.How to interpret this- can we use only front row battered piles or all vertical piles only if lateral deflection is less?
3) It seems Txdot is not using integral/semi-integral abutment design, because I don't see std details regarding these.Details are Conventional abutment only?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could you not contact TXDOT and ask them? Usually DOT bridge offices are helpful in terms of their standards and requirements.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

Disclaimer - I haven't done any work in Texas.

That said I don't believe they use diaphragms for concrete beams. The piles are in pairs and they are both battered. They use conventional abutments for most of their bridges I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back