Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bridge Foundations Over Granite Railway Cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llessur

Geotechnical
Feb 5, 2002
AU
Hi,

As part of my final year at University I am performing a slope stability assessment of a 1.5km railway cutting, varying in height from 6-10m. The cutting runs through slightly weathered, strong, homogeneous granite and is capped with a 1-6m layer of boulder clay. The occasional faulted zone appears in the cutting but no significant stability problems have been identified.

The (currently disused) line is soon to be upgraded to a dual track system and the cutting therefore requires widening by approximately 2m. Due to the proximity of private propety either side of the cutting it has been decided to cut each slope face back by 1m, rather than taking the full 2m from just one face.

I am still in the early stages of analysing the data which I have collected - triaxial and shear disc tests have been arranged and scanline data is currently being input into a rockslope stability analysis program, so until I get these results back I won't know if any significant stability problems exist.

My report will be focussing on the excavatability of the granite within the cutting and the any subsequent slope stability problems which would be created by the widening process. I will also be looking at the bearing capacity of the granite either side of the cutting to asses the possibility of constructing a large footbridge across the railway.

I have set off in the usual direction - have reported on the geology, the structure etc but am now at the stage of assessing the rock mass. All we have been taught since I have been at University for the general classification of a rock mass is the use of various rock mass rating systems such as Bienawski etc.

However, I am aware that various new systems, such as GSI etc are beginning to appear which are supposed to offer a more accurate assessment of the rock mass for construction purposes and which avoid over-engineering, which apparently commonly occurs with the older systems.

Does anyone have any opinion on this matter? Is there a particular rock mass classification scheme which gives particularly good results with rock slope faces? How much better are these newer systems?

Also, as of yet I have found very little info regarding the construction of footbridge foundations directly onto the granite (at the site of the bridge <1m of overburden exists above the granite). If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful!

If anyone has any other thoughts as to what else I could include in my project I would love to hear them.

Many thanks!

:)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Best wishes to you during your final year of school, and to the success of your project. At this time I am not able to offer useful input to your project. However, I would be interested to know which rock slope stability program you are using to analyze your data.

Rockjoint
Rockjoint@yahoo.com Rockjoint
rockjoint@yahoo.com

Thanks for your support Rockjoint,

At the moment I am using Rocscience's &quot;Dips&quot; program to analyse the scnaline data which I have collected for the cutting.

Have found it good to use so far, it seems easy to use and have seen some impressive results.

Am slowly getting there with my project - only six weeks until it needs to be handed in!

Thanks for your comment.

Llessur

I am familiar with DIPS. I have used ROCKPACK (Dr. Skip Watts: It is the best program for stability analysis of rock slopes that I have encountered (I am a little biased, as Skip was my major advisor). Check out the links to find out more.

Also: check out for a brief overview of classifications. I am not very familiar with newer systems, but I intend to learn.

Good luck,
Rockjoint
rockjoint@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back