Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bridge Inspector Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

medeek

Structural
Mar 16, 2013
US
I'm considering taking the 2 week course to become certified as a bridge inspector here in the State of Washington (WSDOT). I am totally new to bridges and I was wondering what others thoughts or experience is with this course and whether or not the AASHTO manuals would be a good resource in this regard.

A confused student is a good student.
Nathaniel P. Wilkerson, PE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like the NBIS/FHWA bridge inspector training course. You should review the FHWA Bridge Inspector's Reference Manual because a major aspect in the training is learning the Federal numerical rating system for the various bridge components.

Link

I've never taken it - I went to a two week NYSDOT training course years ago. I know people who have taken the FHWA course; it's very comprehensive.

WSDOT may also have state specific training that is required prior to performing any inspection work in the state. Several states require the NHI course plus their own stated administered course, or they have created their own training course that must be taken in place of the NHI course. Where I work, Maryland, The NHI course is enough (with appropriate refreshers on a recurring basis) but I know of other states, Pennsylvania for example and New York as bridgebuster mentioned, that require state specific courses be taken.

Make sure you verify the NHI course is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back