Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bringing in Iges file, need to 'Stitch' surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondcat

Automotive
Aug 21, 2002
US
Hi,
I have a customer that had his Solidworks file altered in another software (Surfcam). When he brings the file into Solidworks now, imported iges, all he gets is surfaces. He is asking me to help him and the Surfcam guys said that all I have to do is "bring the IGES into Solidworks and then stitch all the surfaces together to create a solid".
Is he just talking about the import diagnostics area? or is there really a stitch command. I searched the Solidworks help for stitch and didn't find anything.

Also, the search on this site doesn't seem to be working for me either. I tested it by searching for a word that I KNOW is there and it still says nothing found.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can try the diagnostic. if this does not work you may need to see if there is a gap in the surfaces, if so you will need to either fill that area or you will need to replace the surface area with a new one and stitch to form am solid.

CJ Goodrich
Product Design Engineer
Leatherman Tool Group
Portland, Oregon

I think he means in SW terms KNit the surfaces into a solid. You can run the import Diagnostics, but if that doesn't not fix the problem you will have to manually fix the solid.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

This can be a tricky mess. Are you familiar with building/patching/filling surfaces? Check those terms in the Help files. I often use a split line to mark out an area I want to delete. I'll then do a Fill or Patch to put in an improved surface where I can control tangency, etc.

This can be quite laborious, depending on the complexity of the surface and how "bad" it is when you import it.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Sometimes it helps to deliberately import the file without sewing into solid (see options when you are opening the IGES file in SW). Then run diagnostics. I don't know why, but sometimes this helps.

[bat]Honesty may be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back