Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

British Standard Pressure Piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmanzanilla

Mechanical
Jun 30, 2009
AU
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a 'British Standard' design, construction, examination and testing code for pressure piping, which might be or have been an equivalent of ASME B31.3.

I'm looking at a high pressure piping system built by the british ICI 25 years ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

fmanzanilla,
The old BS was BS3351. The new Code is BS EN 13480. However if it's very high pressure then ICI had their own in-house approaches.

DSB,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Indeed it handles very high pressures, up to 21 ksi.

I'm interested in finding out, primarily, how were the retiring minimum wall thicknesses calculated.

I do have some spec. from ICI; but they were not very well kept through the years and this particular information is nowhere to be found.

Looking through the internet I also found a 'BS 806'... I guess the calculations might be something similar to the ones found here or in the standards you mentioned.

cheers.

BS 3351 was similar to ASM B31.3. BS 806 was power piping, and was a bit of a monster, with complex stress combinations etc.

EN13480 is intended to replace both and is pure evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back