Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

broke out section depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

grunt58

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2005
US
At what point/face does a broke out section start? I have a 4" dia tube as the farthest out feature on my part. I want to show a broken out section cutting the 4" dia in half to define some internal features. I would assume my depth would be 2". SolidWorks is saying it's 2.828". Where is the 2.828" starting at? Picture attached, the broke out section is in the bottom view.

Certified SolidWorks Associate
SW2009 X64 SP4.1
Dell Precision T3600
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Xeon 3.2GHz Quad Core, 8GB RAM
Win 7 Pro X64

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks to me like the section is correctly cut at it's centerline as intended. I would guess that the broken out section is simply cutting the material beyond it's limit, i.e. think of doing an excessive blind extrude cut vs. a through all extrude cut. Your property manager shows no selection of the cut out source, is it the contruction line? If so it would seem to be indicated by the yellow line towards the horizontal center, representing a XZ plane facing downwards.

Yes it is cut correctly the 2.5" dim shown in the lower view is the correct ID. I just don't understand why the depth of cut is 2.828". To me that seems to be an arbitrary dimension. The source sketch is a rectangle in the lower view. The broke out section projects the depth with the yellow inline in relative views so you can see what the depth is. Again I don't understand why the depth of cut would be 2.828" when my farthest feature is the 4" tube. The 4" tube cut in half would be 2" why 2.828"?

SW2009 X64 SP4.1
Dell Precision T3600
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Win 7 Pro X64

My apologies, it is an assembly drawing not a part drawing. I did a quick part drawing test and everything worked as expected. Same with a weldment in an assembly drawing worked as expected. I'd like to post the files but I'm new and not sure on posting file policies. I'm guessing being an assembly and a weldment part being the broke out section is leading to the problem. I'll test some more when I get a chance.

SW2009 X64 SP4.1
Dell Precision T3600
Nvidia Quadro 4000
Win 7 Pro X64

For ease you could chose the "depth" box in the tree, and chose the hole in the top view (Instead of specifying a specific depth). This will keep the depth parametrically linked to the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back