Status
Not open for further replies.

swforge1

Mechanical
Jun 23, 2010
US
Hi All
Sorry posted to wrong place

Been working with Inventor for over a year now, prior 10+ in Solidworks. In assemblies I notice if there is a mate(sorry constraint) problem, I am unable to drag parts around until I correct the afflicting constraint. The bad constraint does not appear to be as evident as it is in SW however. Sometimes I can do a rebuild and find all broken constraints, but not always(?). Also fixing each individual contraint, or deleting ot thru the repair tool seems to be very time consuming. Can anyone suggest an easier quicker way to find and address constraint issues? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I never use the wrong constraints, not in Inventor, not in SWx.
I always thought constraining was pretty logical.
Can you attach an example here? (make up something simple that exhibits the behavior you are seeing)

rolllupswx
Its not a case of using wrong constraints. If for example I change a feature in a part that affects a constraint in an assembly, is there an easier way to locate and fix the broken constraint? Thanks

Change from Assembly View to Modeling View (upper right corner of component browser).
This will put all of your assembly constraints in to a folder at the top of the browser named (Constraints).
This will give you a view of constraints somewhat similar to the way SolidWorks shows them in the browser.
There will be a symbol next to any "sick" constraint depending on the severity of the problem ( i in circle or yellow triangle). More information is available depending on how you set up Inventor.

2014 has added a "show sick constraints" command, which will give a visual icon on the model, so you don't have to depend on the browser. Previously the "sketch doctor" red-cross did not always do a good job of showing the location of the problem.

... Can anyone suggest an easier quicker way to find and address constraint issues? Thanks

I just click on the big red "+" that lights up on the top border toolbar (AI 2013).
As each broken constraint is selected in the list, the affected components are highlighted in the browser.
Good enough for me.
Pretty tedious of course in complex assemblies as the affected parts may be hiding in sub-sub-assemblies.

rolupswx... I never use the wrong constraints...

Good for you. I sometimes discover that I didn't need one of the constraints I created, once the part is in place. I try to delete the extraneous ones whenever I can find them.
Many drawings I open for revisions have the same problem: too many constraints. In the event of a conflict later in the modelling process, it seems like Inventor may try to resolve the unnecessary constraint at the expense of a critical one I need!

STF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back