Broms lateral Pile analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmitty

Structural
Jan 21, 2024
NZ
Hi

I am a structural engineer looking into a question regarding Broms method for lateral loads on piles.

In my case the pile is to be designed accounting for soil evacuation to a depth of 1 m so essentially a solider pile wall type design. I have attached an image.

When using Broms there is the 1.5b parameter referencing to a depth below the point of fixity where there is no passive soil resistance. If this is the case do we then account for the soil load down this depth as well or just to the point of fixity. My first thought would be to take it to the depth of 1.5b as with no soil resistance in the upper soil the full soil load should be applied.

The reason I am asking is because I have seen a few other design calculations that only take the soil load to the point of fixity. Obviously this would make the design less conservative but what is correct in terms of the method?

Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b92e1101-ea89-4dd8-a5cb-de1ffa01497e&file=Soldier_Pile_Broms.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No you you take your retained height as height to mudline, not to 1.5b below mudline. The reason for the 1.5b is to account for the fact that passive is reduced in that region, nothing more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back