Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bronze Stem Nut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Lupien

Mechanical
May 7, 2018
US
Hello,

I am a machinist who works in a company that services valves. Sometimes I have to manufacture replacement stem nuts. What should be the maximum temperature that a bronze stem nut is used on? I am thinking the heat must dissipate a lot by the time it gets to the top of a bonnet and yoke structure, but I would like an idea of a safety rule.

Thank You,

Pete Lupien

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pete:

Pressure-temperature ratings are set for the entire bronze valve based on materials selected, valve end conditions and other factors.

There are national standards that set these values and dimensional requirements.

There are not pressure-temperature ratings for specific sub-components such as valve stems.

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Hi Isha90,

Thanks for looking. This is a:

Globe valve
8 inch
300 pond class
850 max temp
WCB body
CR13 Stem 1 1/2 - 4 single start acme
Hand wheel operated
Carbon steel stem nut.

THe stem and stem nut threads are both very worn from use, and the customer wants to replace parts rather than the whole valve. We can do that, I'd like to give him a better setup than what he has if it is cost effective and more durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back