Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brush dispersion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave36

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2020
US
I have a project that I need some help finding a way to calculate and I don't know who to ask.

Mineral oil is dripped onto a surface and a rotating brush, (similar to how a street cleaner works with a horizontal rotating brush), smooths or pushes the oil across the surface. Is there a way to calculate the dispersion of the drop of oil providing you know the volume/size of the oil drop, brush geometry, speed, direction of rotation and crush (pressure) of the brush?

Can anyone can point me in the right direction to solve this problem?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The drops simply replenish the oil in the brush. After a short while the brush becomes saturated with oil, and it is this fact that assures uniform dispersion of oil across the surface. It is just like painting a wall with a paint brush. There will be variation in the coating thickness but goal is to not have dry spots and not to have drips. Oil will continue to spread long after the brushing process. The average thickness can be controlled very accurately by the drip rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back