BS 436 1940 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatkins

Mechanical
Oct 15, 2001
GB
Hi all

We've recently lost our old 1940 hardback edition of BS 436 in an office move. I'd like to replace it, in either physical or electronic form, but am struggling to find anywhere that has a copy. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

PS - we have the newer editions already, it's the withdrawn 1940 edition specifically that I'm looking for.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

swatkins-

Glad you found a replacement document. But just out of curiosity, what is the reason your business requires a copy of a 75-year-old, obsolete gear manufacturing standard? Are you involved in the manufacture of replacement gears for 1940s-era machinery?

Best regards,
Terry

Hi Terry, thanks for the reply. No, actually we are designing new gearbox products but we find the design calculations for strength and wear are still relevant to our products. They are relatively quick and simple to carry out, so are very useful, particularly for initial design calcs. After all, gears designed using this standard have been highly succesful for many years!

Steve

OK, I get what you are saying. The gear design equations used before we had electronic calculators and digital computers were simplified to make hand calculations practical. They also give very conservative results to compensate for reduced accuracy of the simplified analytical approach. Like you said, great for doing initial sizing of gears by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back