BS EN 13480-3 equivalent for ASME B31.3 - Stress Intensification factors

Status
Not open for further replies.

NimChimpsky

Mechanical
Jun 23, 2014
GB
Hello All,

Does anyone have experience with BS EN 13480 Metallic Industrial Piping? I'm trying to find the equivalent section to ASME B31.3 Appendix D that deals with stress intensification factors for elbows and pipe bends.

Also, I can't seem to find any section in BS EN 13480-3 or BS EN 13480-4 on external loads applied to the pipe work to validate the strength of the welds for a simple pipe run. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Any help you can offer would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe EN 13480 uses the same apporach as B31.3 in that (butt) welds are equivalently strong as run pipe. SIF's are used to determine the stress concentration factors, rather than stresses in weld.
SIF's are found in para. 12.2.7.4 annex H
Also try to review annex Q, for simplified stress analysis. Though this chapter is not as straight forward as you might think, it can be good practice.

RobyengIT - Thanks for the documents, I've reviewed them both and I think the example calculation will be a useful reference in future calculations.

XL83NL - Thank you for the direction in regards to stress factors. I will review and post on my progress.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back