Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BSCE...interest dropped after graduation. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNA

Mechanical
Jun 28, 2002
US
I just graduated with a BSCE and I am thinking that maybe I don't want to do civil engineering any more. I have heard there are many jobs around that could use the skills of CEs (and engineers in general) that are not specifically engineering jobs. I'm wandering what these jobs are so I can look into them too. Alternatively, suggestions on engineering jobs I can get know that may lead to a other career options would be appreciated.

I enjoyed my classes (for the most part), learning neat stuff, the technical challenges, the college experience, and the overall challenge of earning my degree. But, for some reason, I have lost motivation to get an engineering job. Somehow, I have painted a very negative picture of the jobs and what my career life is going to be like in the engineering profession. One is working in an enviornment that is un-exciting and stressfull at the sime time, like sitting in a cubical not talking to anyone all day except how my progess is comming along on my part of the project.

Another thing that I am worried about is how much my job is going to encroach on my personal life. School was demanding for me, and I made alot of sacrafices. I have heard that things are tougher when you start the real world. I'm not sure how much of that I can take because, since graduation, I've had time to spend with my family in the evenings instead of studying or working on a project.

I have also lost some interest in the type of work involved. Something that took a while to figure out. During school, it took years of prerequsist classes just for me just to see what certian classes were all about. An example is concrete design. I enjoyed learing about it, the topics, and the problem solving. However, design codes really take the fun out it, and I have a really hard time seeing my self being completely absorbed in the codes all day long.

I will leave out other examples so I don't ramble any more.

No, I'm not asking you what my passion in life is. Basically, I'm looking for options so I can find it myself and use my engineering/technical skills too. I am the type of person that has a tendancy to go "all-out" on reaching a goal if I think it is interesting and "worth it", like my education was. However, something seems to be missing now that I graduated.

Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

DNA,

Believe it or not, the predicament you describe above is not uncommon. I am a recent grad, and while I did not experience your feelings, I knew several people who did. Some realized it early on, and transfered out of engineering. Others realized later and/or stuck it out, and then endeavored to get jobs unrelated (or loosely related) to engineering. I even knew a fellow who got his PhD in mechanical engineering and then decided engineering was not for him. He's now in medical school (admittedly, this is an extreme case!).

Are you sure that you want to "get out" of engineering? Reading your description above did not convince me! It sounds like you have a geniune interest in many of the things you learned in school. You mentioned things you didn't like (like running computational codes), so avoid those areas, and concentrate on the things you did enjoy. You also voiced a concern over spending your life isolated in a cubicle, as well as your professional life taking away from your personal life. While it is possible that these things could happen, they are not unique to engineering! These are things you need to take control over, whether you land an engineering job or a non-engineering job. When you interview with companies, focus on those that have an environment suited to your preferences. If you value human interaction during your day, look around when you interview. It will be easy to identify! As far as work encroaching on your personal life: that, ultimately, is a personal decision. True, the type of company you work for has a large impact on this, but in the end, you're the one who decides when to leave the office. You just need to find a company that values balanced employees (you don't want to work for a company that overworks their employees, regardless of the profession). There are plenty good companies out there.

It sounds to me like you are focusing too much on the negative aspects of a potential career in civil engineering. You admit yourself that you have painted a negative picture. Try to paint a positive picture, and give it your best shot to make that picture a reality. You will have much more success this way, and I dare say you will enjoy your job more. My advice is this: give civil engineering an honest chance before you dismiss it by negative perceptions (which may or may not be true).

If you are dead-set on getting out of engineering, there are companies out there that hire engineers for non-engineering positions. More and more companies are realizing that engineers can be utilized for their problem solving and critical thinking abilities, even if the problems are not "engineering problems." So, if this is the route you want to take, you need to sell yourself as an adaptive problem solver. Some industries to consider are consulting (companies like Andersen Consulting, Price-Waterhouse Coopers, Deloite and Touche, etc.), software, marketing (maybe of technical products), and sales (maybe technical sales).

Good luck!

Haf

DNA -

I think what you find missing is the career that you've been waiting your whole life for is not all that you had hoped it would be. Like a juror in a courtroom, if there is any doubt, you need to step back and look at it again.

As I posted in another thread in this forum, life is what it is....furthermore life is a journey, not a destination. Take your Engineering degree and stick it in your pocket for later use. Find a job working the produce deprtment or deli counter of a grocery store and expand your horizons in the community. Get to know people. Too many Engineers that I have worked with are dry and booring - too many calculations swimming in the head.

You'll figure it out....

sunny and nice - finally Thank you West Coast, look out East Coast because Chicago is ____________
today!!

DNA,

Think of your degree as a new starting point. You now have several choices of career paths.

Design- If you enjoyed working through the theory and putting it into practice then this may be what to look for. However, you may end up in your cubicle for long periods of time looking at a PC as you go through optimization or analytical routines. Typical stress points here are project based deadlines & time to market

Manufacturing- This is an opportunity to get your hands dirty once in a while. You are the one people come to when things go wrong. You get the chance to put your troubleshooting and problem solving skills to use on a wide scale. Stress points here is that when a line is down, the cash flow stops and the pressure to get up an running builds quickly.

Quality- Ranges here from typical inspection type jobs, design and building of test equipment, through dealing with compliance issues to auditing suppliers. Stress types are similar to both design and manufacturing positions.

Education- You could try teaching if you enjoy interacting with students.

Keep in mind that no occupation is stress free. Also that the variety that is available within a position is quite dependent upon the size and make-up of a company. Generally, the smaller the firm, the greater the diversity of demands upon you.

Your personal life is important for you so make that apparent to any prospective employer. The last thing you will want to get into is a job based upon false expectations (either by you or the employer).

Your degree is your foundation. The choice is ultimately yours on what to do with it.

Good luck

DNA -

1. How old are you?

2. Was the time you spent in school worth it? The answer is NO. I'm not being sarcastic, either. Now, I don't mean that you wasted your time, quit the contrary, but from a purley lucrative viewpoint you could've majored in anything and sought work elsewhere and could make more money. On the other hand, it's a good bet that you're "smarter" than a non-engineer so you can do just about anything, no?

3. IF you are concerned about your personal life, I have two sub-questions and examples.

a. Are you well-off enough that you don't have to worry about rent or eating? If you are, then God bless you and have a good time, only don't forget to tithe. If, on the other hand, you need to work to eat, your personal life will be what you are able to pay for.

b. What kind of things do you do that would be interfered with in the event you had an engineering job? Meaning, do you want the "freedom" to get up and leave whenever you want? Or are there TV shows you simply don't want to miss? If that's the case, ANY job will take away from your personal life.

c. Examples. First of all, in the latest issue of Structural Engineer magazine, there's an AMAZING bio of Richard Weingardt (page 16); seems he's had quite an adventure in his 40 years as an engineer, including travelling to all seven continents and collecting honors - in addition to oil painting and writing fiction. In my own case, there's a lot I do outside of the workplace comprising my "personal" life, too...

4. ULTIMATELY, we become engineers because we want to be engineers. All my life, in addition to a passion for science (particularly marine biology), rock and roll music, history, theology and just plain learning things, lifting weights, etc., etc., I have designed and built things: plastic models, balsa models, model trains, etc. you name it. Thus, before I formally/finally became an engineer I was into it. When I think of steel connections, a tingle goes up my spine... I am sure there are similar feelings amongst the ChemE's, EE's, ME's, etc. regarding their own particular area. Frankly, I WANT to do engineering. The fact that I get paid to do something I have loved doing all my life makes it even better. I am in this field because I love engineering; it's "cool." People laugh when I tell them every day is like Saturday, but it is.

Now, with all that, if you do not want to be an engineer, don't be an engineer. You'll be miserable.

for example, you could be an "events planner" for a banking firm:

May 22, 2002 -- A Manhattan man who sees himself as a modern-day Robin Hood - robbing his rich bosses to give to the poor - was not-so-merry yesterday, weeping in court as he was sent to prison for embezzling $3.59 million.
"I broke the law," John Loan tearfully admitted to Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Micki Scherer, who sentenced him to three to nine years.

"I took money that did not belong to me. It makes no difference what I did with it," cried Loan, who claims he gave the money he stole from Alliance Capital Management in Midtown to AIDS charities, needy friends and cabaret singers launching recording careers.

Prosecutors counter that Loan, 41, also spent piles on trips with friends to Rome, London and Paris, and that only $200,000 went to established charities.

About $1 million went to build a recording studio which let promising cabaret singers record for free. Numerous friends have also described how Loan paid their tuition, rent and medical bills.

Loan, who made $225,000 a year as events planner for Alliance Capital, had access to $450 billion in the money management firm's accounts.

$225,000 a year to plan events?????????

How hard can that be? I reckon you don't have to be an Einstein to do that, but it might help...

Well, here's one dude who saw the light and check out his CV!!!

Dr Peter Monks (Phys) Event Planning Manager
I completed a BSc degree in Physics at Birmingham University in 1992. During my studies I always enjoyed the very much hands-on approach to the subject, presented in the comprehensive selection of laboratory sessions. I also found that the development of transferable skills was encouraged in the writing-up and presentation of these results. I particularly enjoyed the final-year Group Studies project which gave a flavour of research in an academic environment as well as the opportunity to carry out an in-depth study on a chosen subject.
Following my degree, I decided to stay at Birmingham to undertake a PhD in the High Resolution Spectroscopy Group. This decision was based upon my interest in Astronomy together with the projects available, based on practical Physics. My decision to stay at Birmingham for a further three years was also influenced by the pleasant and informal atmosphere of the School. I was able to undertake a complete practical research project during this time, including several visits to a remote observatory in Chile, where my instrumentation was tested and deployed. This experience gave me another taste of not only practical skills, but motivation and perseverance in a particular study.
During my degree and PhD I was also actively involved both with Astrosoc and the Poynting Physical Society, for whom I organised several Open Days and Gala Dinners. This experience I enjoyed and following this, having taken the decision not to carry on with scientific research, I am currently employed at the International Convention Centre in Birmingham as an Event Planning Manager. I am now involved in managing and organising events ranging in size from company conferences to international product/car launches and Association meetings, such as the CBI and G8 conferences.

Mr. Viking makes a valuable point. If you're in engineering for the money, you need to have your head examined. It seems that much of the general population is under the mistaken impression that engineers make great money. I don't mean to complain, but I personally believe engineers to be highly underpaid. Furthermore, I believe that individuals capable of being competent engineers are capable of making MUCH more money in more lucrative careers (like law, medicine, and, apparently, event planning). Engineers make a fair living (it's likely you won't starve), but let's face it: you have to WANT to become an engineer to be an engineer.

As for sticking your degree in your back pocket and working at a grocery store: interesting idea, but not practical. I suspect that time spent with your family would go down, given that you'll be working a night job to support them. If you're lucky, your day job will be enough to make your student loan payment. Let's face it, you go to college to earn a degree that will enable you to pursue a career that supports your livelihood. If you're lucky (maybe one out of every five Americans), you'll genuinely enjoy that career.

As for the comments above about engineers having poor social skills - I'm not sure how that pertains to DNA's predicament. Anyway, this is just a stereotype - it's no different than saying that salesmen are slimeballs and lawyers have no ethics. My personal experience is that many of the engineers I work with are the most well-rounded and involved people I know.

DNA: you posted very clearly what you are NOT looking for in your ensuing career. Try posting what you ARE looking for, and I'm sure people will answer whether or not you can expect to find those things in an engineering career.

Haf

Haf,

Do grocery stores not need employees, too? My point was only to suggest that if DNA is not ready to "be an Engineer", he/she shouldn't fight it. Enjoy life while you can. Make friends and family and eventually we all find our place in the Universe (and in the job market).

But you hit it on the head: you have to WANT to be an engineer. You have to WANT to be ANYTHING in this life. However, "You can't always get what you want, but sometimes you just might find that you get what you need."

70 degrees and cloudy Thank you West Coast, look out East Coast because Chicago is ____________
today!!

jstanczyk,

I understood your point, and it's a valuable one. If DNA can afford to "wander" as he seeks his place in the universe (and the job market), then more power to him. For most of us, however, we need to find our place in the job market (maybe not the universe) shortly after we finish school.

I came out of school with thousands of dollars in student loan debt. If I would have worked (construction for example) after high school, I would likely have had thousands in savings instead of debt. Obviously, in the long run, I will overcome this deficit, provided I find a decent paying job. The reality is my best shot at a decent paying job is one that relates (at least loosely) to my college degree.

So, DNA, if you can afford it, wander away. If you're like most of us, choose wisely, but choose quickly.

Haf

Hef,

Yes, the key variables are necessity and desire.

This is what we all must answer in the delicate balance of our existences. A lesson best learned on one's own.

(75 and cloudy) Thank you West Coast, look out East Coast because Chicago is ____________
today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back