Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bubble Counting vs. flow measurement for Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siuuu

Industrial
Dec 19, 2018
IT
Hi everybody,
I have a query regarding leakage measurement, particularly regarding the comparison between two leakage detection methods, i.e. bubble counting and flow rate measurement by flow meter.
My doubts especially come from ISO 5208 Standard: Table 4 defines maximum allowable leakage rates during seat/closure test.
For the specific state of test medium (liquid or gaseous) and the Leakage Test Rate, ISO 5208 defines two different values for maximum leakage, i.e. one stated in terms of counting (drop/s in case of liquid test medium, bubble/s in case of gaseous test medium) and the other stated in mm^3/s.
Are the two ways in which maximum leakage rate is defined comparable?
My query comes from the fact that I have faced some cases in which during the same test the actual leakage is acceptable (i.e. below the maximum allowable leakage rate) if measured by bubble counting, while actual leakage is well beyond the maximum acceptable level if measured by flow meter.
The first time I had to deal with ISO 5208, I expect to have the same level of leakage independently on the leakage measurement method, but reality has demonstrated me that it is not true!
Is it possible a situation like the one that I've described here above?

Thanks

Siuuu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back