Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bubble Wrap Film Plastic Resin Formulation Question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mah1975

Industrial
Dec 9, 2007
CA
Hi,

I am going into manufacturing bubble wrap films. I found that it requires LDPE and LLDPE polymer (plastic resin) mixture. The machine manufacturer suggested Mass Flow Index (Melt Index) of 2.0 to 2.5. Researched a little and found that there are tons of options within that range. Added extenders also found like Slip, Anti-block etc.

I don't want to re-invent the wheel. So, I am asking you the following questions and expecting that the experienced can help:

1) Is there any standard formulation available using standard polymer products?
2) Should I use polymers with extenders? How does it help?
3) There is a wide melting temperature range available for the LDPE & LLDPE. If I mix them together, should I match the melting temperature of both?
4) What ration should I use for both?
5) If I choose a low melting temperature will this be a problem considering the chosen melting temperature is way above the packaging application temperature? My intention is to save electrical energy in heating.

Thank in advance.

- marifca

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi!
1) there are Standard recipes.
2) depending on the customer's requirements
3) Yes
4) from160 to 190 Celsius
5) you will need to choose the optimal temperature for your equipment and film quality
Alexandr

Hi!
1. We use up to 30% recycled LDPE or LLDPE and 70% pure LDPE with MFI=2-3. More than 30% LLDPE is not good because of shrinkage when film comes from the t-die and because of too big elongation at using. Standard formulation you won't have problem with - 100 virgin LDPE MFI=2
2. Not necessary. Sometimes we use antistatic and UV-stabilizer if required by the client
3. Yes
4. Up to 30% LLDPE.
5. The lower temperature you will choose - the bigger power will consume your electric motor and sooner you will need to repair your motor and reducer. Also you should pay attention to your film quality depending of the temperatures. In general - temperature should be nearby producer recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back