Bucket Elevator height adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fahim-A

Mechanical
Sep 18, 2019
CA
Hello!
I'm a student engineer (so still trying to figure out a lot of stuff) and i'm currently working at a metal foundry. Here at the plant, we have a bucket elevator that is used to transport sand used for molding purpose. The bucket elevator isn't very big, it is about 20 feet tall and the trunk is about 1' x 1.5'. Currently the B.E. is not being used and we were thinking of using it at another position than it was originally intended to. Because of this, the height needs to be reduced by couple of feet (anywhere from 1 to 6 feet). My question is, how can we shorten the height, if we can at all. Will it be something we can do on site? like remove a portion of the trunk and weld it back together or do we need to contact OEM to provide us a replacement trunk of shorter height.

I would be really grateful if anyone would give some insight on this. Thanks! 

(pic for reference)
vertical-bucket-elevator-500x500-500x500_b07jtg.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are going to have to take the whole elevator to pieces, cut the main trunk, then reweld the pairing flange back on , shorten the belt and in the process remove some of the buckets. Are you sure you really want to do this?
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Thank you so much to both^
@berkshire yeah this does sound too much of a hassle. Might have to talk with the guys at the weld shop and see if they are up for it. Actually my main concern is more about the structural integrity after cutting and welding it back.

@IRstuff that's a good(out of the box) idea, but unfortunately the ground is made of concrete...so probably cannot dig a pit there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back