Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buckling analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senad83

Mechanical
Jul 13, 2007
NO
Hey,
is it wrong to use 8-node elements in buckling/postbuckling analysis? Riks' analysis are giving me some strange results when I use 8-node elements. I've used 420 as yield stress, but von Mises stress exeeds this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure why it's strange if the stresses exceed yield. Check your results with a hand calculation if possible to get a 'feel' of what your results should be.

corus

Impossible to do hand calculations as the geometry is very complex. Principal stresses can exeed yielding stress, but I thought that max von Mises should be yield stress or below. I'm not sure though.

I am using plasticity, with yielding at 420 MPa and plastic strain at 0.18. Everything looks ok when I use 4-node elements, but not with 8-node.

Senad

It's probably because the stresses at the integration points are at yield, but extrapolating to the surface nodes will give you stresses apparently above yield.

corus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back