Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buckling of Cylindrical Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Low

Mechanical
Oct 30, 2019
MY
Hi All,

Do you have any idea why the cylindrical vessel do not consider buckling in the calculation ?
Is it already been considered in the thickness formula in UG-28 as per ASME section VIII Div. 1 ?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Sam Low

If the vessel is under internal pressure it won’t buckle, if the vessel is subject to external pressure then buckling would be considered with ASME, it also depends on the diameter to length ratio of the vessel.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

Sam Low said:
Do you have any idea why the cylindrical vessel do not consider buckling in the calculation ?
Is it already been considered in the thickness formula in UG-28 as per ASME section VIII Div. 1 ?

Yes, buckling is considered in longitudinal compression and external pressure acting on cylinders. If it is available to you see Sec II, Part D, Appendix 3 for discussion.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Vessel design considers buckling if external pressure (ie, internal vacuum) is specified.
If full or partial vacuum is not specified, then usually it is not considered.
Vessels design for pressure will be adequate some some amount of vacuum, so if it is an existing vessel or existing design, adding vacuum requirements may or may not affect the design.

As what I have studied, COMPRESS follow Bergman (ASME paper 54-A-104) calculation to cross check the buckling effect on the vertical cylindrical shell.

What if my vessel is horizontal orientation with external pressure and there is a heavy load on top of it? How could I calculate the buckling for the shell? Even though it can withstand the compression force (lesser than allowable compression force), it doesn't mean no buckling effect occurs. The shell might not be in rounded shape anymore.

Thanks guys!

Capture_gyqcsg.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back