Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Buckling on the shell 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhamal

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2019
UZ
buckling_area_is_ok._b4fr8b.jpg
grinded_area_mpi_done_r1ccsc.jpg

Hi all,
there was bulge on last shell due to some weld destortions during welding clips outside.
it was noticed just in Final walkdown inspection before hydrotest.
Subcontractor which is constructing the tank just put new weld on the shell from inside thinking it gives to shell reinforcement and helps the buchkling go out. It worked out and buckling gone. After that the MPI was done after grinfing the weld.
But all this done was done without informing the Client (Owner). Without any repair procedure. Now Non conformance report is assued by them and i need to close this. I will upload pictures . What should write on NCR to close as per repair procedure. pls help me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this API 650 tank?, what is the diameter, height and roof type? What is the thickness of top shell course? If you have the bulged/buckled photo pls post together with more descriptive info..

Understanding who you represent will change the answer for how you address the Non-Conformance report issue? Are you representing the the Sub-Contractor or Owner?

As Ed asked, any non-destructive testing inspection or report generated?

I am General Contractor. Owner asking X ray for all places. But this not not cut and this is just for giving the heat to shell to remove buckling. RT is nonseless .

It has always been a policy at the Tank Shops that I have visited, that the welders were prevented from playing "Tic-Tak-Toe" anywhere on the tanks ....

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

I would say, ask the contractor to write up a procedure reflecting what was done, and see if that can be approved. That procedure can reflect any required NDE as well.
Note that API-650 describes how things are to be built and checked, but does not describe how you fix any particular problem.
The alternative to doing what they did would be cutting out plates and welding other plates back in, which is more re-work, more potential distortion, etc.

mjcronin said:
It has always been a policy at the Tank Shops that I have visited, that the welders were prevented from playing "Tic-Tak-Toe" anywhere on the tanks ....

That really does not answer the question, does it?

By the way:

"Mechanical Engineer, Maine PE.... 40+ yrs experience in power plant and process chemical work....ex-New Englander, now stuck in the midwest....intolerant of bad spellers and those who are diction, syntax and, generally speaking, English challenged."

40 + yrs. If you abbreviate a word you have to put in the dot... I mean, period.

Midwest is a proper noun, capitalize it.

Don't put commas after conjunctions; let me show you:
intolerant of bad spellers and those who are diction, syntax, and generally speaking, English challenged."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back