Budget pressure regulation options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingofthehill

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2022
GB
Hi all

I have a pneumatic cylinder charged to approx. 450 PSI. Need to regulate this down to approx. 120 PSI to protect equipment on the downstream end of the system. I can find pressure regulators that will do this but anything rated higher than 16 bar (230 PSI) seems to be quite expensive. Can anybody advise a no frills way of doing this please? Looking for cheapest possible solution. Doesn't need to be adjustable, can be reduced to a fixed output pressure. Crude and cheap is fine for the intended purpose.

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming comments. 👍🏻

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you need 450 psi elsewhere in your plant? If no, turn down the cut out pressure of your compressor.

Is the 120 psi demand small? Purchase a dedicated compressor unit.

Is your compressor multi-stage? Tap off the LP stage.

If you can guarantee you can't shut off the flow why not an orifice/ restriction orifice or a set of them to avoid critical flow.

BUT IF YOU CAN ISOLATE THE SYSTEM SO NOT SO THIS.

So it only works if the flow is constant and you cannot create an overpressure

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.

Forgive me, I should have given more context in my original post...... The receiver tank is portable, and only 12 litres capacity. The stated 450 PSI is required in order for there to be enough air volume to service the demand. All system components have been specced in to be able to withstand this pressure except for the end use device which is rated at 120 PSI. I hope to be able to install a basic regulation device of some description in line immediately before the demand (but would prefer something much cheaper than the regulators that seem to be available rated in excess of this pressure).

Look at regulators for welding gasses. Oxygen regulators in particular. They will meet your pressure requirements and can be acquired inexpensively. Most have 1/4 NPT ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back