Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Bug, slow computer or just wrong settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanikles

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2014
SE
Hi,

My colleague has got a problem when trying to constrain in assembly mode.

I'll try to explain the problem with an example:

He's trying to "mate" one part to another, but after pressing the OK button in the "place constrain" window he gets error triangles on all previous performed constrains including the new constrain. Also the parts haven't moved at all.

However, if you just drag one of the parts with your mouse just a bit it pops into postion and all of the error triangles disappears.

Is this a bug? or does he have wrong settings?

Br

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To me it sounds like the parts are over either over-constrained or that the parts have bad references. Usually you will get an error before it gets to this point, but i have seen similar situations.
It could very well be the computer itself too. I won't assume because I don't know what you're working with. If you're confident that the computer can handle the assembly then we can rule that out.
If possible, I would try a re-assembly(depending on the complexity)If that fails, I'd guess there's a reference problem somewhere.

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I ever solved this problem. Unfortunately I have switched companys so I can't help this guy with it anymore. Anyway, My first thought about it was that he just need to use the update button more often. But if if that was supposed to be the problem, if I'm not mistaken, you'll only get an error on the newest constrain (not all of them?).

Can be a reference problem maybe? I don't remember how his model was built so maybe I'll bring up this thread when I come across the problem again. Or if someone else does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back