Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Build To Order 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

butlen

Mechanical
Sep 10, 2002
GB
How does Build To Order work for car manufacturers? Why would you only build a unit when it is ordered, rather than build units, stock and sell, when unit numbers are so high. This isn't my field so I need some basics.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks mate,

I didn't pick these URLs up when I googled for some reason. I really wanted a discussion with a real person rather than documents, but the first URL gave me the name of a chap at Cambridge University who has exactly the research base i need. I live in Cambridge so I'll go to his school and ply him with beer.

Nice one

For a variety of reasons:
1) Reduced inventory
2) Reduced raw material (both enable a closer version of JIT manufacturing)
3) No need to offer incentives to unload cars that consumers aren't 100% positive they want.
4) Lack of overages (e.g. excess parts inventory) sitting around when a model change comes.
5) The ability to only produce what is needed when it is needed, negating significant upfront cost from the manufacturer.

The list goes on. Try Google Scholar and see what you come up with. I think I have a few .PDF files on this at home that I'm using for a paper I'm writing. If you can get into the ABI/Inform database, I guarantee you'll find some literature.

There are obvious negatives though to BTO:
1) Inefficiences caused by a lack of batch sizing (e.g. cleaning out the spray guns to paint a different color).
2) The environmental impact of said inefficiencies.
3) Union labor...either you pay them when they're idle or you'll never get a contract signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back