Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Build your own workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsPawn

Electrical
Dec 27, 2002
US
Over the years I have always built my own desktop PC's and "workstations" usually using a tested ASUS motherboard bundle as the starting point. It has been 3 or more years since my last build and I was wondering if there is anyone that has done a recent workstation build. If so, I would be very interested in their system configuration and any recommendations and words of wisdom learned in the process.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mine's now getting a bit old--new early last year from Xi Computer. Even since then, things have changed a lot. From the reviews and tests I've read at cadalyst.com it looks like Intels Core 2 Duo chips are a great way to go. Plus, you'll get a good price now with the chip wars happening. Much better than the $1K I forked out for my AMD FX-60 on this machine.

You may want to do an online configuration at Xi's web site to see what sorts of components are getting plenty of use. This is how I came to buy a system from them in the first place a few years back. I took everything on the list and priced it at Fry's Electronics and found I could save ~$200 or so by doing it myself--and decided to let Xi build it and give me the warranty.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back