Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Builder 80+ homes/yr. Microsoft Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reg321

Civil/Environmental
Feb 10, 2010
CA
I build 80+ homes a year, and need to manage it in Microsoft project as one project-i think??? The thing is, i have for example 3 Plumbing contractors to do the rough-in for 15 homes, i can only give them 5 homes each and set Priorities for the homes. so oboviously home #2 can start until #1 is completed. and the same goes for plumbing finishes which have to be linked wt the plumber who did the rough-in. All of plumber's #1 tasks need to be linked not only for each activities but across all houses that plumber starts for me. for example plumber #1 may not be able to do the rough-in on 3 Apple St. because he has to to the finishes on 6 Apple St.
There has to be a simple solution to this. it seems like a massive job to link it all manually, or is it?
Would it be easier to set it up as 80 projects and share resources from a pool or set it up as one project and link the resources manually between activities and houses? i usually have 40-50 homes under construction at any given time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure if you're over-linking.

Normally, if your tasks are allocated resource, any conflicts would result in overloading the resource. When you then level the load in Project, the secondary task and those linked to that task should push out to the right.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back