Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building a footing in a swale/ditch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty54

Industrial
Feb 10, 2022
CA
Does anyone know if there are any requirements for having one of your structure footings landing in an existing swale on an industrial site? minimum depths? or is it even allowed? It is the only place that a footing for a new leg of this open tower like structure to land.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

proposed area is shown here:
Capture_aqekma.png

I'd be more worried about the drainage than the footing. From a structural standpoint if you've got the main footing buried with paving over top of it, your pedestal is sticking a reasonable distance above grade so there's no contact between the steel and water and you've got the right exposure category for your concrete you shouldn't have a problem with the structure. But if it's an actual drainage path, intercept that and route it around your footing. If you're kind of in the middle there where stuff is just generally flowing left in sheet flow and not where water will be running into the page photo then you're probably fine.

It's likely that worst case you could fix this with some regrading around your post, but it depends on what's going on operationally and where exactly you're plopping things. Regardless you should do a bit of a ramp down away from the footing even if just a foot or so horizontally

This also looks a bit more like it's just an awkward grade change than a swale. Like, I'm sure it's collecting water, but the slope from the building on the left is less than I'd expect if this were really thought through as a drainage path. Doesn't mean that you don't have to deal with the water, just a comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back