Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building a mini battery operated refrigeration system

Status
Not open for further replies.

trhogan

Mechanical
Apr 9, 2000
US
I would like information on mini compressors, expansion valves and any additional components that are contained in a refrigeration system/air conditioner.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'd like an idea where I can purchase these items also.&nbsp;&nbsp;ie McMaster-Carr<br>Also, whats the easiest way to convert the 110V requirement on the compressor to battery powered?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi. The best place to start is to purchase several battery powered mini-refrigerators, such as the kinds sold for use in automobiles(12vots).Try automotive accessory catalogs, and search the internet under the title&quot;automotive refrigerator&quot; or similar words.From there, you can design your own, or can see the identity of the component suppliers by taking them apart.

Hello.  My name is dennis McGlumphy and I'm an electrical engineer.  I have some experience in refrigeration.  Electrically speaking, refrigeration is very inefficient, so you need to know how much wattage is required to choose the proper battery.  If size and weight are a factor, you may want to look into using thermoelectic units (peltiers).  There are no moving parts and freezing temperatures can be easily obtained.

TE modules use copper bismuth junctions to create a &quot;peltier&quot; effect (look up NORD). While they may be more efficient, it costs way too much to be cost effective. One chip will cost about $16 and you will need many of them to get the desired effect.
To convert from 110 to DC, you need to switch motors, or add an alternator (not a good idea).
I like Paula's May 17th reply.

He's building one not buying one.
Cost is the reason you don't see these things for sale in Walgreens. The thermo coolers (about 33qt) run you about $150.
Until NORD becomes cheaper (10 years ago it was about $150 for a chip), you won't see much commercial application.
Maybe you could discover a cheaper metal junction with a higher TE transfer and sell it to us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back