Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

building a private road

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattfletcher

Civil/Environmental
Mar 15, 2002
US
I want to build a private road on some land I own. I want to rent a backhoe and do it myself. This is in Michigan. How should I begin

Matt

myfletcher@prodigy.net

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A backhoe is not the piece of equipment that I would choose. You would do better with a motor grader. Unless you have experience in operating this equipment, you would do better to contract the rough grading to a skilled operator. You must first determine alignment and grades. That will take a topographic survey. Set the alignment and grades so that the cut and fill are roughly equal. If you are locked in on alignment, then set the grades so that cut and fill are roughly equal. You will need to provide for drainage, probably bar ditches each side of the road. You will need to provide for some kind of surface, preferably one that sheds water. In Michigan, you will likely need to consider the frost level. Make sure that your fill is properly compacted. I'm assuming that your traffic will be light and infrequent. If that is not the case, you will need to do a pavement design.

First,

You need to check with the appropriate local entity. I work for a county engineering department and this type of activity is regulated by our department and requires permitting. You didn't state what the road was for, this may affect your design as well as regulations to which you may have to adhear.

Beyond that, the previous advice is sound.

I am the original poster. Yes, I will check with the local officials for codes on road building. Wouldn't a backhoe be great for digging the ditches on each side? Then, couldn't I use the blade to do my grading? I have checked on hiring this done and they want between 50 and 100 dollars per hour. I can rent a backhoe for 500 dollars per month. Thanks for the advice, I will do some more checking.

You need to remember that the 3 most important things in civil engineering are drainage, drainage, and drainage. If the road doesn't drain it won't hold up and you will find yourself rebuilding it often.

Being a Combat Engineer in the Marine Corps, I have a little experience in a lot of areas in the broad spectrum of Engineering. Everyones advice here has been excellant. As to which piece of equipment would be best for ditching, my vote would go to the grader. In the arena of road building/maintenace the grader can't be beat. It serves well in ground clearing/stripping operations (provide the trees have already been removed), leveling, finishing and cutting v-ditches along the sides of the roadway. About the only aspect that it can't effectively accomplish is compaction. On the down side the grader is more difficult to operate for those of us who are not heavy equipment operators.

Everyone has been on the money here with what is important DRAINAGE!!!, and as far as equipment selection, the only situation I could see the back hoe as being benefical would be if you have any deap excavations, such as for culverts. If you have alot of dirt to move, a scraper would be the tool of choice, and then the grader for the finish grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back