Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Building a repetetive project file

Status
Not open for further replies.

SueK

Mechanical
Jul 13, 2012
US
I need to build a project schedule which includes enterprise level portions (no issues), and then a repetetive task list for each of 15 locations. Because the 15 locations are identical (for now), I'm trying to find a way to avoid buidling them individually.

I can easily copy and paste tasks and durations, but so far I can't figure out to get predecessors to be unique to each instance. If I export the generic version, when I import / append, all task link back to the original list, instead of to the new line items.

I tried buiding it in Excel and importing, but duration all came in as 1 day. I'm definetly spending too much time trying to avoid typing it all in, but I'm concerned if I manually build all these links, I risk errors.

Anyone know a robust method to do this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have an answer. Very newbie question, I'm a bit embarrassed, but sometimes the easy things are the ones without a reference to look up.

In case anyone else has this issue, if you collaps the topline task, then copy paste, everything underneath it will paste in magically linked and ready to go!

I believe what Sue said is what I've done as well, I've rolled up the top-level project summary and copied that which brought over the predd/succ links, then adjusted durations, task names, etc, accordingly for each individual project.

Another option if this is truly repetitive vs a one-time setup is to build a template which is what we use corporate wide, same look and feel for all our "official" projects which meet specified thresholds for time/cost. In other words you'd only want to do this on a big enough project (hence thresholds for determining which). Nice thing about templates is the holiday calendar can become a standard along with specific Gantt pane preferences. Our company does not use MS Project out of the box because of their lacking Gantt bars setup. We've built a template which works for our NASA preference thus saving tons of time on setting up individual projects.

Actually I do not understand clearly what you want to achieve. Do you mean that you have 15 repetitive tasks, one for each location? It looks as if you have different resources. Do you mean per repetitive task(series)or for the individual tasks within the various overall repetitive tasks? What did you exactly do in Excel?
Perhaps it might be useful to upload an example [maybe both MS Project and Excel] with a precise explanation what you want to achieve. It could be wise also to explain your goal, independent from the track you have chosen now in order to meet it.

Why an easy solution if you can make it complicated?
Greetings from the Netherlands

Lost interest? Or no need to react to people trying to help you?

Why an easy solution if you can make it complicated?
Greetings from the Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back