Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building Code Egress Rqmts (IBC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpid

Structural
Mar 14, 2008
US
I am designing a three story building (approx 5000 SF/Floor) within an industrial environment. Based on the code the building requires two points of egress, which shall be separated via fire wall. The client has created a general arrangement utilizing stairs meeting OSHA rqmts (9"rise/10"trd) and a caged ladder as the forms of egress.

I have expressed that neither of these will met the rqmts of the IBC, but I did indicate I will look a little closer to determine if we have any options.

A few Questions:
1) Is anyone aware of any exclusion within the IBC which allows less than the mandated number of exits within an Industrial site?
2) If a building official is willing to provide a waiver, would that protect me as an engineer?
3) Could I provide a similar letter to the owner, advising him of the IBC rqmts and allow the client to make the decision in writing and would this action protect me as an engineer?

I am also going to have a discussion with our E&O Insurance Attorney as well.

I am curious how other handle similar situations.

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The IBC and referenced standards are just a minimum standard and any local code authority can set higher standards, but no lesser standards are permitted since the model codes are normally adopted by higher authorities by reference.

Examples are the "classic" local seismic, wind and snow loads for an area (usually referenced to the general requirements)based on specific location. The egress requirements can also be made more stringent for access/egress depending on local equipment, access restrictions and trained practices. A prime example is the problem with the IRC egress requirements that do not address the size of local children where the children have statistically be shown to shorter (here for access to an opening there are exceptions) that decrease the sill height below the normal model code requirements and the opening size for fire fighting equipment to allow access for safety and fire fighting and future life safety.

Similarly, major fire protection equipment cannot be replaced for one project when it comes to life safety. Whether it is an industrial site or a residential site, the fire protection/suppression is key and some floor plans may require different standards.

It is best to talk to the local code official rather that try to create a new standard for just one building.

Dick

Engineer and international traveler interested in construction techniques, problems and proper design.

I’d talk with the local AHJ and discuss the various egress alternatives that they would sign off on. Relay this info. to your client, and ask him to make a selection that you can both live with and design around. And, suggest that without compliance he/she might have some trouble getting a building permit.

Being a commercial occupancy, your state may require an architect to make this kind of determination.

You need to comply with IBC and OSHA (29CFR1910) at a minimum. An owner or building official cannot waive the right of workers to have a workplace free from recognized workplace hazards. Substandard stairs are a recognized hazard.

Thanks for all the responses. Based on the information the best approach is to contact the BO directly. Our insurance company directed us to our attorney (no response from the attorney as of yet). In the end I will do what the code requires of me, I am only looking for a manner that will appease the client without compromising my responsibilities. Sometimes this can be problematic as it can be very difficult to satisfy the client when they want to cut costs!

Check 2010 IBC sections 1009. This section appears to allow spiral stairs and alternating tread devices for areas less than 250 FT^2.

Wording in this section is very unclear as far as industrial facilities. A common interpretation of "not accessible to the public" as a dividing line between IBC and OSHA requirements. This is totally up to AHJ as to whether they will allow it!

If you were on a jury and listened to testimony that the design violated the code and the designer's response was to show a letter from the BO, who would you be more sympathetic to? Believe me, that BO is going to mighty hard to find at that time.
Consider the Building Code the law. If the client wanted to build out of gasoline soaked balsa wood to save money, would that be acceptable if you got a letter? Buildings change hands and usages. Your best defense against being legally liable, or worse, causing loss of life is to follow the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back