Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building Code - Steps down to Landscaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

urbanresource

Civil/Environmental
Oct 17, 2008
US
All,

I have a question regarding a stairway exit of a multifamily building. The scenario is a stairway has been constructed, and it was constructed 8" above grade. Thus, we are providing a stoop and 2 steps. A portion of the curved step comes down to a concrete path of travel. The remainder of the curve step comes down to landscaping. Does anyone know if there is anything in the code that specifies restrictions against this? I do not think it is an issue, but thought I would pose this question for feedback. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am having a little trouble envisioning what you are describing. A couple of helpful words I learned are 'tread' and 'riser'. Tread is the flat part of the step, and riser is self explaintory.

Anyway, I believe anytime you have more than two risers you need to have a handrail along both sides of the stairway, at least under 'Texas Accessibilty Standards'

If you can create a 'landing' area, I believe minimum 5-foot in depth, you can start another series of risers w/o handrail. For example, 2 risers, then 5' landing, 2 risers, etc. Keep in mind that risers should be of equal hieght (in your case, 8" dived by two means two 4" risers)

In this case it doesn't seem that there is an issue. Even that a portion of the step goes to landscaping and another portion of the same step to path of travel.

If you can post a picture I'd take a look.

I'm not sure handrails was the issue? the OP does not mention handrails. I think the issue raised is whether the step needs to land on pavement or if it can land partially on landscaping. I don't know the answer, but personally would rather see the entire landing be paved. You risk a person stepping partially on the landscaping and partially on the sidewalk and tripping. Especially if that landscaping happens to be a flower bed or a rock border or something else difficult to walk on...

The issue in this case as in the other threads is what is in the code. The answer to that is that only the AHJ knows.

If the OP reads the other threads, he will find comments such as:

The AHJ can create and enforce it's own set of rules. You could go to the AHJ and argue with them, but not sure why you would - it sounds like this is a legitimate safety concern. Why don't you ask the AHJ to point you to the code citation so that your finished design will meet the code requirements?

Walkway cannot be narrow than steps. See NFPA 101, Life Safety Code, as referenced in IBC...

7.2.2.3.2.2 Stairs and intermediate landings shall continue
with no decrease in width along the direction of egress travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back