Building Condition Survey 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eelssm

Civil/Environmental
Dec 22, 2008
US
Hi Everyone,

I just picked up a job that I wanted to bounce off you guys first before I just jump right in.

I'm tasked to complete a building condition survey. Anyone have any experience doing these? Anything I should really be looking for? These are circa 1880 buildings.

Thanks! Erik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I love doing these! Here's a short list, off the top of my head:

* water damage or intrusion at the roof, walls, windows, etc
* ends of wood beams at exterior walls - condition, rot, etc
* obvious signs of foundation damage (cracks in walls, settling, water intrusion in basement)
* mold or mildew on structural members
* if you're checking capacities: sizes of all members, spacing, spans, etc
* overall condition, quality, etc of all structural systems

I recommend bringing a dust mask, hammer, awl, tape measure, screwdriver, flashlight, ladder, and camera. You also may want a lift of some sort to examine the exterior if it's a tall building. I like to wear coveralls and gloves because I never know what I'm getting into.

If you're interested, check out "Structural Condition Assessment" by Robert T. Ratay. ASCE also has a guide "ASCE 11-90: Guideline for Structural Condition Assessment of Existing Buildings" which is MUCH shorter.

have fun!

You should make clear with the Owner what you will and will not cover. For example, will you have a mechanical consultant looking at the HVAC and plumbing? Will you have an electrical consultant looking at panel boxes, wiring, and lighting? Are you evaluating the building for compliance with ADA? I could go on and on.

DaveAtkins

There is an ASTM standard for a baseline property condition assessment. It is ASTM E2018. It has a suggested report format, a list of items to cover, the qualifications of the observer, etc.

Use this in conjunction with ASCE 11.

I've done hundreds of these. They can be great, or you can incur a bunch of liability if you don't know what you're doing.

The above files are my own work and can be used freely by anyone. Modify to suit your needs and use at your own risk. Liability is always an issue when dealing with this type of thing and latent problems should be checked for. The answers for the questionaire can be a lead to other more serious deficiencies.

Dik

Thanks everyone for the great information! This is perfect.

So, to reduce liability, it falls on the engineer to document as much as possible, right?

I figure I can try and be as comprehensive as possible, so that the owners know that any problems were either there to begin with, or the result of the contractors constructing nearby.

eelssm,

As noted previously there will still be a lot of caveats that you need to put into your report.

That it is only a visual survey, not a check for code conformance, not including elect,mech,drainage e.t.c. e.t.c.

Take photographs of every defect spotted and include in your report referenced on a plan. general photos should be taken too so any future works can be compared to its current layout.

Be aware that cracks often do not turn out very clear in photos.

A preconstruction survey is different than the material I posted and fraught with more problems. Hairline cracking is a problem that is difficult to deal with; it is easily missed and if it is discovered after you may be facing another engineer who will state (and with reasons) that it was preexisting. Your weasle clauses must be well written.

There are other issues. For example, there can be changes to the groundwater as a result of new construction that can adversely affect your building if the original construction wasn't up to snuff...

There can be snow accumulation, there can be shading/drying issues.

Dik

All,

I love doing these as well, I'm currently working on a project where I'm evaluating 13 Ford Powertrain Plants in the Midwest & Mexico. All the above items are excellent, the only thing I didn't see was column damage, I know in these plants you'd think they played bumper cars w/ the Hilo's.

If there is masonry try to get a look at the flashing too.

Our proposal has significant language in it however, limiting our scope to insulate us from certain liability, as its impossible to check 'everything' -- just be sure to cover your butt!

Scott

Scott Shields
Ghafari Associates, LLC

eelssm....one thing to be sure you do....if you see something that could be problematic but you can't fully evaluate from visual assessment, recommend that destructive observation be used. As someone noted E2018 is a visual assessment and does not included intrusive or destructive work; however, it does include a provision that you must state the impact or potential impact of your findings, so if you can't tell the actual impact, warn about potential hidden issues and recommend destructive observation as a second phase.

One significant place where this applies is damage associated with poorly sealed and flashed EIFS and conventional stucco. The hidden damage can be tremendous, even when the exterior surface looks fine.

eelssm....you mentioned someone is building next door to the structure, correct? Are they excavating and placing shoring adjacent to the building you are assessing?

....if this is the case your condition survey need to be focused on a few items (documented, photographed, measured)....as well as possible installation of moinitoring devices during construction.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back