Building Construction and management Experts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tota123

Civil/Environmental
Apr 4, 2016
SA
Dear all,

I am new engineer in company, we are the client or the owner for a project, so we are manage the construction with contractor,
I am an architect with little experience, I need to do a work which realy be appreciated and shown.
My scope now to review subbmittals, modify some work using CAD.
I am very enthusiastic to work and learn but how I can impress my boss to do work really important neede in this level?
we are just finish the concrete cast in ground level and starting scaffolding for the columns. I just think to make presentation for the process? please recommend some kind of tasks and ideas which very important to that level .

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Want to impress your new boss? Do exactly as he asks, with speed and precision. It's difficult to go above and beyond in terms of design when you don't yet know what a real design involves. Revisit this topic in a few years when you have some experience under your belt.

Dan - Owner
URL]

Whether you are an architect or engineer just starting out in building design you are going to go through something of an "apprentice" stage. It's not a true apprenticeship, but I don't know what else to call it. During this time the best thing you can do is as Mac said, do the tasks your boss gives you.

Don't be completely apathetic toward the work though. If you are reviewing submittals, talk to your boss about them, ask why one product is acceptable while others are not. When drafting, don't blindly draw what your boss gives you, study it and ask about things you don't understand. Doing this will show your boss you are sincere in learning to be an architect or engineer. As you learn the do's and don'ts, the why's and why nots, your boss will eventually (we hope) start giving design tasks, small ones at first, but eventually more and more challenging design tasks will follow.

Don't rush the process, it takes time (years) to learn all you need to become a good architect/engineer. Even the most seasoned architect/engineer learns new things from time to time.

dbill74 said:
Even the most seasoned architect/engineer learns new things from time to time.

...I've been doing this for 40 years, this year, and I continue to learn new stuff!! Hope I never stop learning!!

Training is, in my view, short term and targeted learning. I.E. Training to use AutoCAD or Excel or another tool. Knowing how to use AutoCAD to draw lines is one thing. Making those lines mean something is something else, that is where the mentoring of a senior architect/engineer comes in and is something that can't be taught overnight.

When I was applying to take the P.E. exam I had to show evidence of years of experience working under a licensed engineer. Because this is such a long learning period and the young architect/engineer is learning more than how to simply use AutoCAD and Excel, I am hesitant to simply call it "training". As an industry we don't call this learning period an apprenticeship/mentorship and to my knowledge there is no formal apprenticeship/mentorship program anywhere, I use these terms because I think they best describe this learning period.

I've not been in the industry as long as Ron, but I am still learning things, sometimes through white papers and Youtube, sometimes through structured training programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back