building enclosure types-for wind loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

h-badawy

Structural
Jan 8, 2015
SA
Dear Experts,

I have a shade with the dimensions of (46X120)m ,The 2 walls at the short side of the shade have openings at the bottom with about 1.6 m height, and the other two long sides are full opened (see attached photo) There is a big difference between me and the contractor(vendor) in the the approach of the types of building enclosure and we stake in this point because the significant effect of this point on the foundation and design elements.
Contractor approach:
He referred to ASCE_7-16. He saw that Enclosed, Partially Enclosed and Partially open buildings are not applicable. Accordingly, Partial open building is the applicable case. For Partial open building case, the internal pressure is ±0.18 (very low) which is the case of enclosed building. Hence he applied the coefficients of the enclosed case to calculate the wind pressure on walls and roof.
my approach:
I should consider each side as per its case for example the long side should be open building and the short side should be enclosed or partially depend on the percentage of net/gross area as per ASCE7-10.and i think in that case I will cover all critical cases that might be happened for wind load.

please advise

Thank you

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e4242210-d24b-48df-a506-fafe5a6badd2&file=3D-shade.png
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back