Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

BUILDING VIBRATION 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

smwpe

Structural
Aug 20, 2003
US
We have a new client in Florida experiencing vibration in a 3 story reinforced concrete structure built in the mid 80s. The problem started a few years ago and is increasng.
My questions:
-anyone have suggestions on how to proceed with the investigation?
-are there any specialied consultants in Florida?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd try to pin down the forcing function causing the vibration (traffic, machinery, people walking, etc.). Once you know the cause, the solution will be more obvious (but maybe not that obvious).
As far as specialized consultant in FL, I'm sure there's a bunch. It's a pretty big state. Do a Google search.

It's a bit unusual for a reinf. conc. frame building to suddenly start experiencing vibration issues without some significant forcing function as JC noted. I have seen that happen when large package HVAC units start going bad with motor and compressor vibration, or when isolation pads for HVAC wear out and the vibration gets transmitted directly into the structure.

You need an inspection and vibration monitoring to find the likely source, determine the magnitude, assess its impact, and then provide a solution.

There are several firms in the state that can do this. Our firm does it, but I don't want to use this site to solicit business.

Here are a few websites of engineering firms that can do this type of work.....

Start by carrying out a condition assessment. Keep it limited to just theoretical analysis, visual defects, do some NDT, no demolition such as cores. Look at what changed in the bldg history and what changed in terms of loading, occupany change of use of spaces. Vibration can be induced by some building services as well as progressive structural failures. Inspect colums and beams for cracks or spalling. Where or which floor the vibration is highest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back