Built up studs(triple 2x10 beam) attachment to face of built up header 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revv

Structural
Aug 23, 2021
US
Hey guys,

So I have a situation where I have a triple 2x10 beam, framing into the face of a triple 2x6 header. However, the bottom of the 2x10 beam is about 3 or 4 inches above the bottom of the 2x6 header. How do you guys usually frame this out? Do they build up the header higher so a hangar will work? Just not sure how best to connect this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you sketch it? Often I'll just post down from the high level beam to the low level header. So a 3 ply post from the beam to the header.

@jayrod12 I can sketch it if needed but sounds like you're on the right track, only difference is the higher beam is not above the face of the header completely. There is a couple inches of overlap

@jayrod12 so imagine TBE of the header is 100'0" and then TBE of the triple 2x10 is 100'-7". So the bottome of the triple 2x10 is below the tbe of the header so it's clashing and running into the face partly.

Are you maybe saying just to notch it out? Or if it's still not clear let me know and I'll get a sketch put up thank you for the help

What does the code allow for notching? Where I practice it's limited to d/4, therefore for a 2x10 a 2 1/4" notch is maximum. Looks like if your elevations are correct, that would be perfect. You still need to check shear at the notch, but unless you've got a beam running right at the edge of capacity it shouldn't be an issue.

I hate notching. I know it's allowed. I know it can be done. But most residential contractors around here will butcher the thing. That, and I've been on too many residential forensic jobs where bad notches were the root cause.

I would be looking at pushing the header up. I'm not sure how your elevations are what they are, but I'd be finding ways to align it and just make the header bigger. It'll be an extra $30 in materials for a simpler connection that's hopefully harder to screw up.

An alternative, nail a 3 ply 2x8 flatwise between the top of header and double top plate, then you could install a face mount hanger to the 2x8.

I think just raising the 2x6 header to be top flush with the 2x10 beam and using a top flange hanger would be the easier than trying to notch the 2x10 beam or adding additional members. Increasing the 2x6 header size to 2x10 or 2x12 as dold mentioned would also be an option if you wanted to use face mount instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back